Followers

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Tutorial : Basic Colouring using Ps CS6

Hey guys, so, this will be my very first making a blog tutorial of how I colour my drawings. 


Please take note that I still haven't gone into digital drawing just yet, what I did is I draw on a piece of paper, trace it with ink or in this case a gel pen ( people call this process as inking or line art). When I am done, I usually took a picture of it with my camera or you can just scan the image.


Before I start I usually edit the brightness and contrast of the image beforehand. (50% brightness and 200% contrast). You can do this in photoshop by choosing the 'Image' menu, the choose 'adjustment' then pick 'Brightness and Contrast'.


if you have drawn digitally so you won't need this.




OK let's proceed with the tutorial :



First thing first, the image, this is the image that I have already edited the brightness and contrast. So the image look clean.





To colour you can just use a brush to fill in the wanted area but it took time. Another way is to use the Quick Selection Tool or Magic Wand Tool. I use Quick Selection Tool in this tutorial.
(to use Magic Wand Tool, your line art should not have a loose ending)

TIPS : to use this tool, always make sure you choose background image/layer, if you don't choose the background then you are not gonna get the wanted area. 

Select the first area you wanted to colour, in this case I have chosen the skin area which is the face and both arms. There will be a dotted line that indicates your chosen area as seen in the picture.

Once you have selected the area, only inside the area can be edited, all area outside the selected area will not be affected by any change.





Next step is to fill in the colour:

  • choose a new layer
  • make the layer option into multiply mode ( so that the lines will still be seen)
  • choose a colour
  • choose either brush tool or bucket tool to fill in colour
  • bucket tool is much faster though






When done with the skin colouring :
  • choose again the Quick Selection Tool
  • right click your mouse on the picture
  • choose deselect (as shown in image)

    then all the selected area will be gone, at this point you can touch up the colouring with a brush.







proceed with other area such as the hair. repeat all the steps that we learn so far. 
  1. Choose background
  2. Quick selection tool
  3. Select area
  4. new layer
  5. multiply layer
  6. brush or bucket tool
  7. quick selection tool
  8. deselect area 





when you are not drawing digitally like I am. when you close up to the image you will see some area that are not fully filled like this.
This is the downfall for not drawing digitally..extra work. lol





you can just simply touch up this by choosing a brush and just brush on top of the area not filled yet.
Use a small size brush to do this. If you have some colour outside of the lines, don't fret, just choose an eraser and erase that part.




Then continue doing these steps with other areas and so on.
To make it easier for you, you can name your layers. Just double click on the layer name and you can rename that layer.
If you don't do this the layer will be sorted by number, such as ;- layer 1, layer 2...etc







when you are finally done, all these will be the final product of the image with all the basic colouring.
I will continue using this picture to teach you on how I made the eyes and also the simple toning or shading. 






Want to try out using this image to practice? Download this picture then.
Show me your result soon okay?

I hope this helped you, and I hope you understand all these step I wrote, but if not excuse me for my poor writing.


Until the next tutorial, thank you.

1 comment:

Leave your comments here